By: Charles Parker, California Department of Education, State FFA Advisor
The election has come and gone and yet everything still remains the same in Sacramento. Discussions are occurring on when CDE will be returning to the building and at what capacity as well as how every student should be tested and who should be paying that fee.
- Perkins – Funding has not been reduced nor have the rules changed. Perkins must be expended for CTE programs and cannot be used to supplant. Reach out to your Regional Supervisor should you have questions on allowable expenditures.
- CTEIG – Funding is constant, no reductions have been made. The latest round of grants that were scored last month, will be reviewed and approved by the State Board of Education during their January meeting.
- Redesign – The current webpage is undergoing a radical redesign by a new vendor. At the first of the year we will be moving to the new webpage. I am excited at what I have seen and the new layout of the site.
- AET – AET will be the new site for all student entries. We will no longer be adding or changing students in calaged. AET is also the site where teacher information will be entered and updated. AET will become our data portal. All current information in calaged for both students and teachers will be migrated to AET in late November.
- Agriculture Incentive Grant
- AO400’s have been sent to district superintendents for their signatures. Please work with your Superintendent to make sure they have signed and returned the form. We must collect all AO400’s before we can issue checks to Districts.
- Discussions are continuing regarding the application updates.
- Fall 2020 – Regional Meetings will be a time questions can be asked of the region’s representative to clarify what the committee is recommending.
- Spring 2021 – State Agricultural Education Advisory Committee will review the proposed application and provide suggestions and thoughts.
- Summer 2021 – Summer CATA Conference will provide a final opportunity for teacher input.
- Summer 2021 – State Staff will submit the new application to the Department of Education for approval.
- January 2022 – New application along with instructions will be posted.
- June 30, 2022 – Programs wishing to be considered for funding through the Agriculture Incentive Grant program bust submit the newly approved application.
2. Leadership Continuum
- Greenhand Conferences – Registration is live for Greenhand Conferences and can be completed through the registration process on calaged. Once you have registered an email will be provided on how you can access the new materials developed to help teachers and students through the virtual event.
BIG congratulations to students and teachers who took part in the 93rd National FFA Convention.
- National Officer
- David Lopez, Holtville FFA, elected National FFA Western Region Vice President
- Proficiency Winners
- Nine winners are the most in any one year for California.
- Ag Mech Design/Fabrication – Cole Marchy, Turlock
- Ag Sales Entrepreneurship – Alyssa Laredo, Merced
- Beef Entrepreneurship – Hunter Aue, Merced-Golden Valley
- Environmental Science – Spencer Stephens, Merced-Golden Valley
- Equine Science Placement – Deyvet Carbayal, Madera
- Fiber and/or Oil Crops – Peter Bliss, Merced-Golden Valley
- Nursery Operations – Abigail VanKlaveren, Modesto
- Sheep Production – Madison Woods, Gustine
- Specialty Crop Production – Eric Quezda Ridge, Nipomo
- Agriscience Fair Winners
- Four winners tied the most in any one year for California.
- Environmental Sciences Division 4 – Isabella Albiani & Isabelle Alves, Elk Grove
- Food Products & Processing Division 3 – Mia Gillum, Hanford
- Food Products & Processing Division 5 – Liesl Wolf, St. Helena
- Power, Struct. & Tech. Systems Division 4 – Sophia Albiani & Eden Hamming, Elk Grove
- Other Awards
- 409 American FFA Degree recipients and 35 Chapters honored through the National Chapter Program.
Sectional Leadership Nights hosted by the State FFA Officers in cooperation with the Regional FFA Officers are currently happening throughout the state. To date over 1,000 students have taken part in these leadership development events.
Stay tuned as more information will be forthcoming in the near future regarding leadership development events, state leadership conference updates and any calendar adjustments.
For more information about the California Agricultural Teachers’ Association, visit http://calagteachers.org/